The Editors, NDR Books, and Our Partners
Who we are
Chris Honeyman is Managing Partner of Convenor Conflict Management, a consulting firm based in Washington, DC. (www.convenor.com) Chris has served as an adviser to numerous academic and practical conflict resolution programs in the U.S. and abroad, and as a mediator, arbitrator and in other neutral capacities in more than 2,000 disputes since the 1970s. From 2007-2013 he was co-director of Rethinking Negotiation Teaching, a major project to revamp the content and methods of negotiation teaching worldwide. From 2004-2009 he served as lead external consultant to ADR Center (Rome), the largest dispute resolution firm in continental Europe. And from 1990-2006 he was director of a succession of Hewlett Foundation-funded research-and-development programs, of national or international scale. Chris is co-editor of seven books and author or co-author of more than 100 published articles, book chapters and monographs on dispute resolution ideas, infrastructure, quality control and ethics. He has held a variety of committee and advisory roles for the ABA, IMI and other organizations.
Andrea Kupfer Schneider is a Professor of Law at Marquette University Law School, where she has taught Dispute Resolution, Negotiation, Ethics, and International Conflict Resolution for over 20 years. She is the Director of Marquette’s nationally-ranked dispute resolution program. She frequently publishes law review articles and book chapters on negotiation, gender, international conflict and dispute systems design, and has co-authored several leading legal textbooks on ADR, Negotiation and Mediation. Andrea gives negotiation trainings around the world to corporations, law firms, court systems, and, most recently, has focused on faculty in the STEM and medical fields, for which she has now received federal grants for software development and training. She is a founding editor of Indisputably, the blog for ADR law faculty, and started the Dispute Resolution Works-in-Progress Annual Conference in 2007. She was named 2009 Woman of the Year by the Wisconsin Law Journal and, in 2016, gave her first Tedx talk, entitled Women Don’t Negotiate and Other Similar Nonsense. Andrea was named the 2017 recipient of the ABA Section of Dispute Resolution Award for Outstanding Scholarly Work. She received her A.B. cum laude from Princeton University and her J.D. cum laude from Harvard Law School.
The same editors' Negotiation Essentials for Lawyers is published by the American Bar Association. Negotiation Essentials adapts 53 chapters from the NDR for the specific needs of time-pressed lawyers. It focuses on prescriptive advice about what to do in each of many difficult negotiation situations that commonly occur in the practice of law.
The Negotiator’s Desk Reference is part of a long-running project, the Canon of Negotiation Initiative. The Initiative has been through several stages, from which we have learned a great deal; for instance, 60% of the chapters in the NDR are entirely new since our first reference book (The Negotiator’s Fieldbook, published 2006 by the American Bar Association.) The other 40% of the NDR chapters are updated from the 2006 Fieldbook. Some of the updates have been extensive.
In all, the pace of change in our field's knowledge base has been high. We expect this rate of change to continue, and have designed some features of the NDR to accommodate that expectation. For example, we've designed the Web edition to make future updating faster as well as more easily accessible for readers. So the updates (designated for convenience as “Volume 3”) are included in the price. For related reasons, instead of a printed index, we are providing a customized search engine; it's designed to capture the latest updates as well as the original text.
Also, many people now prefer to read in more than one format, depending on where they happen to be. So if you purchase the two-volume set in print, you will also receive complimentary access to the full Web edition, including the updates. (Access instructions are in the book.)
NDR Books and our publishing partners
NDR Books LLC is headed by Chris Honeyman and Andrea Kupfer Schneider, the editors of The Negotiator's Desk Reference (NDR.) NDR Books publishes the Web edition of the NDR and associated extras, while DRI Press is publisher of our print edition. (DRI Press is an imprint of Mitchell Hamline Law School, St. Paul, MN.) We also continue to work in a variety of ways with the American Bar Association's Section of Dispute Resolution, publisher of Negotiation Essentials for Lawyers as well as our predecessor reference work The Negotiator's Fieldbook (ABA 2006). In other examples of this relationship, Andrea currently serves as co-chair of the Editorial Board of the ABA's Dispute Resolution Magazine, and Chris served as a member of the Section's task force on mediation research (2014-2017).